Dollar Academy has been a co-educational day and boarding school since its foundation in 1818. Today, it provides an exceptional all-round education to around 1,350 pupils aged 5-18. It’s a fast-paced and exciting place to work. There is always something new on the go; we drive ourselves hard to achieve excellence in all areas for the benefit of our entire community, but especially for our pupils.
The school’s location is undoubtedly one of the most scenic in the country, set against the Ochil Hills and the historic Castle Campbell, but within easy reach of the major towns of the Central Belt and just 40 minutes from Edinburgh Airport. With around 1,350 pupils and 250 staff from Scotland and around the world, the Dollar community is welcoming and vibrant. The whole school sits within a single, stunning 70-acre campus, with excellent facilities for staff and pupils.
This is a new role at Dollar, and an exciting opportunity for an experienced finance professional to add value and drive results by influencing process and technological developments. You will be resourceful and self-motivated, capable of leading a small team, and able to establish effective relationships with our staff and parents.
If you believe you have the relevant skills and aspiration – and a good measure of calmness and humour – then we look forward to receiving your application.
Reporting to the Head of Finance you will be responsible for:
- The day to day running of the Finance Office; line managing three colleagues, who work respectively on payroll, fees and purchase ledger.
- Oversight of purchasing and invoicing.
- Benchmarking surveys, Government statistical analysis.
- Financial and statistical reports and returns to various external bodies.
- Overall checks and controls of accounts – monthly report of completion to Head of Finance and Bursar.
- Statutory compliance, including OSCR returns.
- Supervision of ParentPay; advising staff running trips and tours.
- Annual Gift aid claims and monitoring of donations/bank accounts/CAF.
- Holiday allocation and recording.
- Management of online banking system and access for staff.
- Management of BACS system for fee collection, salary payment and supplier payments and all legally required changes and updates.
- P11D compliance.
- Gender pay gap reporting.
In addition, you will support the Head of Finance in:
- Preparation of annual budget, monitoring of income and expenditure against budget; providing expenditure reports to Heads of Department.
- Producing income and expenditure accounts, balance sheets and cash flows.
- Producing draft annual accounts and managing audit procedure.
- Producing management accounts, investment reports and debtor reports for Governors’ meetings.
- Managing salaries and associated matters including PAYE, pensions, National Insurance, Statutory Sick Pay, Statutory Maternity Pay etc.
- Liaison with the Academy’s insurance brokers, legal representatives and pension agencies.
The successful candidate must have a proven track record in a similar role. Chartered Accountant status or equivalent is desirable but not essential, as is experience gained within a school or education-specific financial environment.
Crucially, candidates must have in-depth working knowledge of management accounts, cash flow forecasts, statutory accounts, annual budgets, managing checks and balances and payroll, PAYE, SMP and SSP. An intermediate knowledge of Excel is essential.
Experience in investment reporting, trading companies, debt control, VAT and Gift Aid is desirable.
Good planning, organisation skills and attention to detail along with the ability to work with integrity and confidentiality are vital. An understanding of management information systems would be very valuable. The successful candidate should be highly numerate with excellent people management skills and comfortable working in a team environment.
A strong communicator, with the ability to convey financial information to non-finance staff in an understandable and relevant manner, is crucial. An agile mind and can-do approach is essential to support the school’s ambitious goals and development plan.
Terms and Conditions
Normal hours of work will be 35 hours per week. This is an all-year round position.
Salary will be based on experience.
- Support staff are auto-enrolled in the Local Government Pension Scheme, to which the Governors make a very generous Employer’s Contribution (currently 20.4%).
- Generous holiday entitlement of 35 days per calendar year rising to 40 days after five years’ service.
- Eligibility for fee remission for employees whose children attend the Academy.
- On-site gym and swimming facilities.
- Employee Assistance Programme and Retailer Discount Scheme.
All appointments at Dollar Academy are subject to membership of the Disclosure Scotland Protection of Vulnerable Groups Scheme. The successful candidate will be asked to make a formal application, the cost of which will be covered by the Academy.
How to Apply
The Academy’s Support Staff Application Form must be completed and is available to download by visiting our website. Completed application forms should be mailed to:
The Human Resources Manager, Dollar Academy, Mylne Avenue, Dollar, FK14 7DU, Clackmannanshire OR emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is the 11th of August 2023 at midday.